• Help
  • Find
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
Traductions :
  • Voir la page en français
  • Ver esta página en español


Health care

French health care "sécurité sociale"

You may enroll in the French government health care scheme called sécurité sociale as soon as you have finalized your enrollment at the university, but not before. We strongly suggest that you take out private health insurance to cover you while you travel to France and during the first month or so of your stay, while you are getting settled and taking care of enrolling in the university.

After you obtain your enrollment certificate (le certificat de scolarité) from the UPPA, non-EU national students may apply for a French health care number on this website. This process takes several weeks, and in order to finalize your enrollment, you need to provide the number of a French bank account in your name and a copy of your residency permit (after validation by the OFII).

You must advance any health expenses that come up after your enrollment at the university and before you receive your INSEE number, but be sure to keep the receipts. After you are fully enrolled, you may submit your receipts for reimbursement.

Supplementary health insurance

If you so wish, you can also take out a supplementary health insurance policy once you have arrived, by contacting one of the student health insurance companies.

Specific cases

Students from the European Economic Area (European Union, Norway, Iceland, and Liechtenstein) are not obliged to make health insurance contributions if they have a valid European Health Insurance Card (Carte Européenne d'Assurance Maladie).

Quebec students must follow a specific procedure. If you come over in the context of the BCI programme, you do not have to pay contributions to the French health insurance system. All you have to do is make sure you obtain form SE-401-Q-106 before you leave.

Third-party civil liability

Everyone in France must have third-party civil liability insurance (une assurance en responsabilité civile), which covers any damage that you accidentally cause to another person's property. You must provide proof of this insurance in order to enroll at the university, and you will be asked for if if you are living in private accommodation. You should know that third-party liability insurance is generally included in housing insurance, so if you are renting a room or an apartment in the private sector, be sure to check that you can get both housing and third-party liability insurance at once.

If you do not have private insurance, you can take out a policy once you arrive in France by contacting one of the student insurance companies.