Visa & resident permit

  • Help
  • Find
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
Traductions :
  • Voir la page en français
  • Ver esta página en español
You are here:

Visa & resident permit

How do I obtain a residence permit?

If it is your first application

In the two months following your arrival in France you must send to the French Immigration and Integration Office (OFII), by registered letter with receipt of delivery, the document given to you, along with your visa.

You must also include the photocopy of your passport (identity + visa + stamp bearing the date of entry into French territory) and indicate your postal address.

If it is a request for renewal

You must contact the prefecture directly

2, rue Maréchal Joffre in Pau
Tel. +33 (0)5 59 98 24 24
Opening hours: Monday to Friday, from 09:00 to 12:00 and from 13:30 to 16:00.

Students on the Basque Coast campus must contact the sub-prefecture services in Bayonne

Allées Marine à Bayonne.
Tel. +33 (0)5 59 44 59 44
Opening hours: Monday to Friday, from 09:00 to 11:30 and from 13:30 to 16:00.

Documents to include (originals and photocopies)

  • Both sides of your residence permit
  • Valid passport
  • Birth certificate (for a first application or if you are from a different département)
  • Tax stamp (check the amount at the Prefecture or on the following website:
  • Marriage certificate (if applicable)
  • Certificate of enrolment for the current academic year
  • Proof of financial resources (at least €615 a month):
    • personal bank statement
    • grant statement
    • payslips
    • certificate of financial support together with proof of identity and last 3 payslips of the person responsible for covering your needs
  • Recent proof of accommodation:
    • certificate from the CLOUS if you are living in University halls
    • latest electricity bill or rental contract for the current year if you are living in private accommodation
    • certificate of lodging on a separate sheet of paper + electricity bill + proof of identity of the person who is lodging you if you are staying in a private house.
  • Three passport photographs (no head covering) that meet EU standards
  • A stamped, self-addressed envelope
  • Your examination results from the previous year
  • Certificate of continuous attendance to be requested from the registrar’s office in the educational institution
  • If you are a PhD student, a certificate from your thesis supervisor, specifying the progress of your research (for postgraduate students).

You will be given a receipt for the request to renew a residence permit, valid for 3 months (it can be renewed for as long as it takes your request to be processed at the prefecture).